We are currently living through something totally new—a global pandemic. From stay-at-home orders to learning over Zoom, we are also experiencing things that we never have before. Motivating your child to succeed can feel particularly difficult as we all struggle with fear, loneliness and other side effects of the disruption. However, staying physically healthy and fit is more important now than ever. How can you get your child motivated?
How to Start Motivating Your Child to Exercise at Home
- Involve Your Child in Making Schedules: Just like your child is more likely to try food if they helped to prepare it, they are also more likely to follow a schedule if they helped to create it. Involve your son or daughter in making their daily schedule and determining when they should do things like chores and exercise.
- Allow Choice: Letting your child be in charge of some of their time can motivate them, and the same is true by offering options for exercise. Instead of motivating your child to go for a run, ask if your child would rather go for a run or do a ZUMBA video on YouTube. Giving a choice makes it easier to start motivating your child to exercise in ways that they love.
- Make Things Fun: Think outside of the box when it comes to exercise! Instead of doing workout tapes or going for a walk, make chores or things around the house a way to stay active and get your blood pumping. TikTok dances are another fun way to go about motivating your child to exercise without it feeling like exercise.
Get Moving with MissionFit
MissionFit is dedicated to strengthening Baltimore youth through classes and an open gym. It’s our goal to encourage positive traits, like respect and teamwork, and provide children with a place to gain self-confidence and enjoy some exercise. To learn more about our classes or donate to support our mission, visit our website. Want to Support? We’re making health a possibility and a priority for Baltimore’s youth. If you want to support us, here are three easy ways to do so:
- Donate here!
- Amazon Wishlist– buy something specific that will make it easier for youth to achieve their health goals.
- You can put your online shopping to good use by donating a percentage of your purchase with AmazonSmile! To get started, sign in here, search for “MissionFit” and select us as your charity of choice