You know that regular exercise is vital to a healthy body, but did you realize that it can be just as important for a healthy mind? There are many mental health benefits of getting your heart rate up and your blood pumping. What are some of the ways that exercise can help your mental health?
The Mental Health Benefits of Exercise
- Exercise has been shown to help improve mood and decrease symptoms of anxiety and depression. Regular exercise will give your endorphin levels a boost, and endorphins are the things that help you to feel so physically and mentally good. Even if you don’t exercise every day but instead only a few times a week, it could have a noticeable impact on your mood.
- One of the other major mental health benefits of exercise is lower stress levels. By increasing your heart rate, you can stimulate your brain to produce norepinephrine and other hormones that can boost mood, improve cognition and even help to reduce the impact of stress on your brain in the future.
- If you’re looking for a creative way to improve your mental health, improving your confidence could be it! When you exercise regularly, you can watch yourself progress and do things that you couldn’t do before. Whether it’s lifting a heavy weight or increasing your muscle mass, all of the achievements that you make will increase your confidence and, consequently, improve your mental health.
- Finally, exercise can also improve your resilience as a positive coping mechanism. Whenever you are faced with emotional or psychological challenges, you will have a healthy way to blow off steam without using alcohol, drugs or engaging in other unhealthy behaviors.
Get Moving with MissionFit
MissionFit is dedicated to strengthening Baltimore youth through classes and an open gym. It’s our goal to encourage positive traits, like respect and teamwork, and provide children with a place to gain self-confidence and enjoy some exercise. To learn more about our classes or donate to support our mission, visit our website. Want to Support? We’re making health a possibility and a priority for Baltimore’s youth. If you want to support us, here are three easy ways to do so:
- Donate here!
- Amazon Wishlist– buy something specific that will make it easier for youth to achieve their health goals.
- You can put your online shopping to good use by donating a percentage of your purchase with AmazonSmile! To get started, sign in here, search for “MissionFit” and select us as your charity of choice.