Getting kids moving is hard, especially with the siren songs of Fortnite, television and plenty of social media apps. However, it’s more important than ever to stay active. Motivating kids isn’t always easy, so using unconventional ways to sneak in some exercise can be surprisingly effective.
7 Easy Ways to Get Kids Moving
If you can’t make it to MissionFit for your favorite class, here are some other clever ways to get your child moving this year:
- Walk the dog. Instead of opening the back door and letting Fido wander around, have your child take him for a walk around the block or go for a walk together as a family. A short walk is the perfect way to check in with your child and have a brief chat about whatever is on their mind.
- Play is exercise, so anything that gets your child moving around and playing is also a form of exercise. Attending a bowling birthday party can be exercise the same way that gardening is exercise.
- Make games out of everyday life. The distance from your car to the entrance to the grocery store isn’t just a short walk; it can also be a race to the finish. Think spontaneously when assigning chores and look for ways to make them into an exercise experience.
- Get outside as often as possible. Playing a backyard game or taking a walk around the block gets your blood pumping and can also boost your mood. Want to head to a park? Baltimore is home to tons of parks with exercise equipment, including Montebello Lake Park, Druid Hill Park, Jack Paulsen Park and more!
- Bust a move! Dancing is a fun and effortless way to sneak in a workout, and every kid loves to dance around to some fun music.
- Hula hooping might seem old fashioned, but it remains a really fun way to exercise and learn a skill. While it might look like your child is just spinning around a hula hoop, they are also strengthening their core muscles, increasing their endurance and improving their coordination.
- Need your leaves raked? Yard work is another simple way to tackle a chore and also get some exercise in at the same time. Hand-washing a car could also turn into a workout.
Get Moving with MissionFit
MissionFit is dedicated to strengthening Baltimore youth through classes and an open gym. It’s our goal to encourage positive traits, like respect and teamwork, and provide children with a place to gain self-confidence and enjoy some exercise. To learn more about our classes or donate to support our mission, visit our website. Want to Support? We’re making health a possibility and a priority for Baltimore’s youth. If you want to support, here’s three easy ways:
- You can put your online shopping to good use by donating a percentage of your purchase with AmazonSmile! To get started, sign in here, search for “MissionFit” and select us as your charity of choice.
- Amazon Wishlist – buy something specific that will make it easier for youth to achieve their health goals.
- Donate here!